The History Of Emmanuel Lutheran Church
PAs a christian church, we understand ourselves to be a part of the Body of Christ. As such, we believe that it is important to build for the future, just as it is important to remember the past.
The history of our congregation begins with the German-Lutheran pioneers who settled in this region in the late 1700s. Small clusters of families would meet for worship in cabins or clearings, with the services typically conducted by layman. Emmanuel was formally organized in the 1820 by Rev. John Steck, a 'circuit rider' who served a number of churches in the area.
The congregation's first house of worship was a tent. A small log structure constructed in 1831 was a Union Church shared by German Lutheran and German Reformed denominations, and stood at the intersection of Cherry Lane and Hills Church Road. In 1856 the log structure was replaced by the brick structure which still serves Emmanuel Reformed United Church of Christ.
Emmanuel Lutheran congregation moved to a separate facility in 1884. This white clapboard church still stands on Roosevelt Avenue in Export. It was deeded to the Borough of Export in the spring of 2001 for use as a historical center.
In 1965 the congregation moved to its present location. Additional classroom space was created in 1981. A new sanctuary was dedicated in the fall of 1997 and provides for increased worship seating, increased parking, a greatly enhanced narthex, and additional classroom space.